A fairly girl Reunion, Ben Affleck’s cool Feet and a $17 Million Payday: 20 Secrets About Runaway Bride Revealed
by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It absolutely was the film ten years when you look at the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty girl made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic pair that is on-screen reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere yet again teamed up due to their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom passed on in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little city woman therefore afraid of dedication that she actually is dashed through the altar 3 x while the jaded divorced magazine columnist determined to see her run for a fourth time. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted to your movie movie theater to start to see the set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which have been when you look at the works for over ten years with several other superstars connected to star sooner or later, a more impressive blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that has been released in 1990.
But simply it was more successful, as Runaway Bride failed to captivate critics (earning just a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and even had one of its stars later admitting it just didn’t capture the magic of their previous film because it made more money than Pretty Woman doesn’t mean. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out simply weeks before.)
Still, by way of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both independently and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as you of Hollywood’s many enduring intimate comedies, even in the event it absolutely was hardly ever made together with an ending that is different one point.
Through the A-listers which were initially likely to star into the film in 1991 to Roberts’ own experience being a runaway bride, listed here are 20 enjoyable facts you do not realize about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to own their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride had been really within the works for over ten years, with numerous other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and journalist that is cynical.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to guide the film, nonetheless it dropped aside if the very first manager brought in had problems with the script. Within the next years that are few movie movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson had been all within the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock had been thinking about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie together with her suitors–and was away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to take control, with all the studio liking the basic notion of a more youthful few. Nevertheless when Affleck passed, one of several manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. While he adored the script, Gere had one condition the studio needed to satisfy before he signed on to relax and play Ike: “Whenever you can get Julia, i am in.” Roberts, that has initially been uncertain associated with film whenever she read a version that is previous of script years prior, made a decision to take another appearance. And following a telephone call along with her old Pretty lady main character, the film movie movie stars were willing to reunite.
“People have already been hoping to get them right straight back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles days. “And abruptly it happened—it was all settled in a week”
4. The phone that is next ended up being one Gere and Roberts would need to make together, while they needed to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to help make the reunion https://rubridesclub.com formally complete by directing their love tale yet again. There is one hitch though, as Marshall had guaranteed to just take their spouse to Australia for a vacation that is much-needed.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, we should speak to your spouse,” Marshall recalled to your book. “They informed her things such as, ‘ just exactly How many times do we get an opportunity to do that?’ and, ‘we are going to simply just take care that is good of,’ therefore finally we stated, ‘OK, we’ll take action.’”
5. The trio’s provided history made shooting Runaway Bride a fairly stress-free experience for the trio, with Marshall noting a modification of their main character, now armed with ten years of expertise on sets sufficient reason for stardom.
“Richard was indeed really cautious on Pretty girl, but this time around he had been a many more prepared to be funny,” the manager said. “Mostly we chatted within our very own little shorthand. All I experienced to complete ended up being yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.’”
6. The movie’s budget soared to $70 million, an unusually high number for a romantic comedy after getting A-listers Roberts and Gere on board. In addition to back-end gross on the movie, Roberts attained $17 million on her dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The movie stars shown worthy of the big paydays, as Runaway Bride started at number 1 in the field workplace, attracting a week-end total of approximately $35 million, definitely the opening that is best ever for a Roberts movie at that time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million all over the world), being a blockbuster hit, it received lower than stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching right straight back regarding the film in a job interview with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that miracle was at the very first film, you cannot make that take place. While there’s some stuff that is wonderful the film, it surely did not have the secret for the first one. The expectation it was likely to have that exact same form of delicious secret had been reckless. It had been a new film, it absolutely was an unusual time, she was at an alternative destination, I happened to be in another type of spot.”
8. Manufacturing descended upon the little city of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million in to the economy that is local upped the actual property market and very nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s release.
“We have been completely surprised,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun regarding the effect the film had around town of simply 3,000 individuals. “the film had been the Midas touch that introduced our city to many individuals. It place us regarding the map.”
9. As soon as known as “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere automobile remains a spot of pride for Berlin, using the city holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the anniversary that is 20th.
“People can be found in and so they would you like to hear, ‘Hey did you can get to meet up Richard Gere? what exactly is Julia Roberts like? Can we come across your house? Where had been the bridal shop?’” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought guess what happens, we are going to supply the individuals whatever they want plus they desire to commemorate the film so we are planning to take action up for the twentieth anniversary.”